Where to Report a Bad Mover.

March 9, 2013

The biggest problem most of you have when you have had a bad move is where do you report a bad mover? This tiny little article pack a punch with just that information. I hope you like it.

The FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) has a hotline for consumers to file complaints against household goods carriers (or other commercial carriers). The number is 1-888-368-7238 (1-888-DOT-SAFT) and is in place for people who make interstate moves (moves across state lines) and feel that they have been treated in an unfair (and illegal) fashion.  Transportation secretary Ray LaHood states “companies that violate federal regulations and take advantage of consumers will be held accountable and they will face serious legal and financial consequences.”

Recently in Florida a moving company was fined $281,000.00 for regulation violations.  To read the story in its entirety visit FMCSA Fines Moving Van Lines, Inc, $281,000 for Violating Multiple Federal Regulations.  To visit the National Consumer Database, go to   http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov to review or sumbit consumer complaints.  Anyone planning an interstate move is encouraged to visit the “Protect Your Move” website at www.protectyourmove.gov to review shippers’ rights and responsibilities and obtain information on household goods carriers (registered with the D.O.T).

Category: Craigslist Moving Scams